Contact:

Contact:

Sunday, August 5, 2012

'My New Montana Home'

Forty Nine years ago this month, at the age of seventeen, I entered military service. The days that followed would represent the first time I was away from the safety and security of home and family. The level of anxiety I experienced, when being 'greeted' by our Training Instructors, was indescribable. Not at all as described by the recruiters back home. After completing Basic Military Training in Texas, I received my first orders. I would report to the 341st Strategic Missile Wing at Malmstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls, Montana. It was also home to the 29th Fighter Interceptor Squadron.

As mentioned, I was very young and immature. While Uncle Sam declared me to be a 'man', I was still very much a young boy who had yet to learn what life was all about. As I went about my military responsibilities, the fear I experienced, from being separated from all things familiar, lingered on. 

During my service at Malmstrom, I met a local family who must have sensed this young man's uneasiness. They were very kind and they took a personal interest in me. One day they asked if I would like to move in with them. I welcomed the invitation and soon they became my 'new' family far away from home. 

The winters in Montana were very cold and the frequent snowfalls would challenge even the best of transplanted New Yorkers. I remember rising very early in the morning each day and hitchhiking to the Base. Yet, the warmth I felt while living in my new 'home' was worth every bit of the extra energy it took to reside off of the Base. I have often thought of this great family over the years and have always been grateful for the attention they paid to this young Airman.

Well, what's my point? It is this; All around us are people who are seemingly lost in life who are facing great anxiety, even distress. They are waiting for someone to take an interest in them, make them feel welcome! They are yearning for someone to treat them with kindness, love and understanding. They may be young and experiencing life for the first time or perhaps older and lacking direction. Whoever they are, they are presenting you with an opportunity to be a 'Friend of the Friendless'. 

Is there someone in your sphere of influence that will benefit from your concern? If so, ask God just what He wants you to do. You may just be changing a life in the process.

I will never forget Ernestine and Jim, the two Montanans who helped to shape my life. Their memory encourages me to do the same for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are having trouble with your comment being accepted, use the 'anonymous' category. If you wish, you can then add your name at the end of your comment in the comment box.